1 can of white kidney beans, drained
One medium to large shallot, finely chopped
One sprig of fresh thyme
Two sprigs of fresh rosemary
Quarter cup of fresh chopped basil
Approximately 1 cup of chicken broth
1/4 pound of thick bacon
1 lb of Black Cod, cut every 3-4″
Two large carrots, halved and sliced ~ 1/4″
Two medium on-the-vine tomatoes
Two garlic cloves, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Serves 2 people
Prepare the tomatoes:
- Boil water in medium sauce pan to blanche the tomatoes
- Prepare ice bath for the tomatoes
- Boil the tomatoes for 3 minutes
- Drain and place in ice bath
- Remove skins
- Halve and remove seeds
For the fish:
- On the skin side of the black cod, pinch the filet and score every 1/2″
- Season with salt & pepper
Time to cook!
For the stew:
- Saute the shallots in two tablespoons of olive oil
- Once turning translucent, add the garlic cloves
- Cook for 1-2 minutes longer, then add:
- Chicken broth
- Thyme & Rosemary
- Cannellini beans
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, then add the tomatoes and basil, cooking for 3-5 minutes longer
For the fish:
- Over medium/high heat, brown the bacon in a large saute pan
- Transfer the bacon to the stew, preserving the fat in the saute pan.
- Place the filets of cod skin side down in the hot pan
- Cook on the skin side until 3/4 of the fish is white
- Flip and cook for 1-2 minutes longer.
Wrapping everything up:
- In shallow bowls, place a drained portion of the bean stew at the bottom.
- Place the fish skin side up and serve.